Solar panels are an excellent energy production method, but like any other technology, solar systems require maintenance to function at their best. A solar panel system’s performance wears down over time. This can happen due to various factors such as weather, pollution, and even bird droppings. A build-up of debris can reduce the amount of sunlight that reaches the solar panel cells, reducing the amount of energy the panels can produce.
Cleaning solar panels is a simple task that can be done with a hose or a specialised cleaning solution, but it is important to use the correct cleaning method for your specific type of solar panel or solar system as a whole. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, it is best to hire a professional solar panel maintenance service provider, like the team here at Symons Energy.
In this blog, we will discuss the different types of maintenance required for solar panels and why it is important to maintain your solar power system.
Different Ways To Get Your System Serviced
Unlike other energy production processes, solar panel maintenance is far simpler. Regular maintenance, electrical checks and inspections can all help to ensure that your solar panels continue to provide you with clean and renewable energy for years to come.
- Regular Cleaning: To maintain your solar system and solar panels, you should have them regularly cleaned. Almost every solar installer or provider of solar power service maintenance offers cleaning solar panels as an additional service.
- Performance Monitoring: Monitoring the system’s functioning is a crucial component of solar system maintenance. It allows you to check if the solar panels and the solar system are able to produce as much energy. Few companies like us at Symons Energy have their own monitoring software to check the system’s energy production.
- Professional Inspection: Regular expert inspections of the solar system are another component of solar panel maintenance. Checking wirings and inverters and ensuring the system is grounded correctly are some of the different inspections included in this procedure. In case there are any emergency procedures to be performed on a solar panel or system, these inspections make it easier to spot them.
- Battery Maintenance: If your solar system includes a battery storage component, it will most definitely require regular maintenance. Get in touch with the team at Symons Energy, and we’ll have one of our experts check the battery out.
- Storm and Weather Protection: In places with severe weather conditions, it is essential to take extra precautions to protect solar panels from damage. This includes ensuring that the solar panels are securely attached and checking for damage after storms and high winds.
The Importance of Solar Panel Maintenance
Solar panel cleaning, monitoring, and professional inspection will help to ensure that your solar panels continue to provide you with clean and renewable energy for years to come. Plus, at the same time, it can help you stay up-to-date with the norms of the clean energy council.
Here Are The Reasons Why Solar Maintenance Is So Important
Make Sure The Solar Panels Are Clean, Secure And Functioning
First and foremost, it is important to keep solar panels serviced. Dust, dirt, weather conditions, and debris can accumulate on the panels over time, leading to decreased performance or cold panels.
Regular cleaning, either by using a hose with a specialised solution or a leaf blower, can help to maintain the condition of the solar panel system.
Keep An Eye Out For Potential Dangers
Solar panel maintenance can be considered as a monitoring system of the solar panel system’s performance. By creating a maintenance schedule, not only can you have regular checks of the output of your solar panels.
It can help you identify any potential issues early on, such as panel defects, damaged wiring, deteriorated vents, moisture seepage, deteriorated fittings and cables, chances of house fires from solar panel fires, and others.
One Off Inspections To Prevent Any Safety risk
Solar panel maintenance also includes a regular visual inspection by a professional. Call for a professional from Symons Energy, for instance. We will check for panel damaged and damaged wiring, if the inverter display panel is working, and if the panels are securely attached, among others.
An annual inspection by us can help to identify any potential issues and prevent them from becoming major problems. Our team of licensed electricians and electrical workers will also check for any signs of wear and tear, such as corroded vents, cracking or discolouration, which can indicate if the solar panel system needs maintenance or emergency procedures soon.
In addition to these regular solar panel maintenance tasks, it is important to keep an eye out for any damage, such as cracks or broken glass, and have them repaired or replaced as soon as possible. This can help to prevent hot water infiltration or solar panel fires, among other dangers.
Take a step towards safety by giving the team here at Symons Energy – the best in Brisbane; you can request a call on 1300764162 or request a free quote by clicking here.
Q1: How often should solar panels be cleaned?
Ans: The frequency of cleaning solar panels depends on the environment where they are installed. In general, it is recommended to clean solar panels at least once a year or when there is a noticeable decrease in performance. However, it might be necessary to clean the panels more frequently in areas with high dust, pollen or bird droppings.
Q2: Can I clean my solar panels myself?
Ans: Yes, you can clean your solar panels yourself. However, it is recommended to use the correct cleaning method and equipment for your specific type of solar panel. If you are not comfortable cleaning the panels yourself, it is best to speak to a professional solar panel cleaning service like Symons Energy.
Q3: How can I check the performance of my solar panels?
Ans: You can check the performance of your solar panels by monitoring the output of your solar system. This can be done by using a monitoring device, such as a web-based monitoring system, or by checking the output of individual panels.
Q4: How often should I have my solar system inspected by a professional?
Ans: It is recommended to have your solar panels and system inspected by a professional at least once a year. During an inspection, a professional will check the wiring and connections, as well as ensure that the system is properly grounded and that the inverter is working correctly.
Q5: Will my solar panel system require maintenance if it includes a battery?
Ans: Yes, if your solar system includes a battery storage component, it will also require regular maintenance. This includes ensuring that the battery is properly charged, monitoring the battery’s state of charge, and replacing the battery is all part of the necessary solar service.